Don’t get me wrong; I love spring. But rather than compile a list of “5 things I looooooove about spring” (everyone loves spring!) I thought I would be contrarian. Because there are some things about spring that are just… unsettling.
1. Cleaning up a winter’s worth of dog doo from the back yard. The dog likes a certain corner of the yard. The relative ease of cleanup is not adequate compensation for the yuck factor.
2. Cleaning up a winter’s worth of Douglas fir cones from the back yard.
3. Not being able to really tell the difference between doo and cones, which makes #2 seem just as disgusting as #1, even though it shouldn’t be.
4. Not having any excuse not to ride my bike. (File this one under “Vernal Guilt”)
5. Rain. I know spring rain can be lovely, but not when it happens at the start of the spring and just goes on and on. It’s rather a cruel joke. At this time of year, spiritually, it’s just warm snow. Summer rain is better.